Saturday, August 14, 2010

Human Dominoes and Other Philosophical Questions

Yesterday, it was necessary for me to eat some fried mushrooms with ranch for lunch.  Don't question it.  Absolutely necessary.  Allison and I went in search of bar food and ended up at Cocktails and Company (whose mushrooms ended up being sub-par, by the way, but Allison's onion rings were fabulous). 

While enjoying my lunch of fungus and grease, I happened to notice a news story playing on the television about a world record that had been broken...  for human dominoes. 

Its exactly what it sounds like.  In China's Inner Mongolia 10,276 people, mostly high school students, lined up together then fell over in succession.  The feat took approximately an hour and twenty minutes, plus the twelve hours they had spent over three days practicing for it. 

"Wow, what a gigantic waste of time."  That's all I could think.  Imagine what good those students could have done with those thirteen hours and twenty minutes.  They could have repaired buildings, fed the hungry, cleaned my house.  But, no.  They chose to spend that time falling over in a line.

Then the not-so-cynical side of me (which has not come out for quite some time) took over.  So what if that is how they chose to spend their time?  What have I been so excited about lately that I've spent half a day on it?  Not much, let me tell you.  I haven't repaired any buildings, fed the hungry, or cleaned my house, either.  I don't even have any ridiculous stories about how I fell over with a bunch of people and broke a Guinness World Record. 

Our lives are going to change in a huge way come February.  The life that we have now will no longer exist.  Our days of sitting around like slugs are numbered.  And then, when the baby comes, I will no longer have the option of doing nothing.  I will have taken part in something amazing; I will be charged with helping the miracle that God has given me explore the world and take in every single thing that she possibly can.  I will get to experience a whole new world and all the wonders that come along wth seeing things in a brand new way.  I will look at everything in a new light and enjoy countless new experiences and enjoy every single moment of it. 

I guess the real question is, "Why not start now?" 

1 comment: